Modern Proverb: Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. (antedating exact 1916)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Mar 28 13:38:18 UTC 2010

At 4:15 AM -0400 3/28/10, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me.
>
>Addendum: The proverb is worded in many different ways,

I've always liked GWB's wording:

"Fool me once, shame on - shame on you. Fool me - you can't get fooled again."
Video at
http://politicalhumor.about.com/od/bushvideos/v/bushfoolme.htm
I'm pretty sure we can't turn up any pre-2002 antedatings of that version.

LH