chocolate

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sun Mar 28 21:29:11 UTC 2010

The reader that we used in first-year German - 1954-55 - was written
by a woman and opened with the sentence:

"Meine Heimat ist de grosse Stadt Hamburg."

The only other thing that I recall from this book, other than the
usual whining that the Allied bombing of the city was simply uncalled
for, was that the author complained that, After The War, there was
such a shortage of coffee that it had to be cut with <ugh!> chicory
for there to be enough to go around. Ghastly!

As a consequence, I've been amazed for dekkids by the fact that,
elsewhere, coffee cut with chicory is considered a gourmet treat, to
the extent that renowned restaurants, e.g. Antoine's in New Orleans,
advertise it as a specialité de la maison.

Different strokes, I reckon.

-Wilson

On Sat, Mar 27, 2010 at 5:56 AM, Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Victor Steinbok <aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM>
> Subject:      Re: chocolate
>
> Most of the GB hits for "chicory-coffee" are from the 1850s and periods
> immediately preceding and following. There are two sets of hits that
> claim to be 1774 and 1776, but they are off by exactly 100
> years--perhaps the printer screwed up for years and never noticed.
>
> But there is a legitimate 1813 publication. The scan of the title page
> is ambiguously fuzzy--it looks like 1815, which is what GB put down, but
> it could be a slightly less common font for 1813. But the actual
> copyright page states that the publication was enrolled in 1813.
> WorldCat check also suggests 1813, or maybe even 1812 (I doubt it).
>
> http://books.google.com/books?id=5h4AAAAAMAAJ&pg=PA327
> The emporium of Arts & Sciences. New Series. Thomas Cooper. 1813 [1812?]
> p. 327
>> In England they use (or rather propose, for coffee is too dear there
>> to be a common beverage) as substitutes for coffee, 1st. Roasted
>> Barley. 2ly. The seeds of the yellow water flag, or flower de luce
>> (Iris pseudacorus) 22 Nich. Journ. 70. 3ly. The ockra, which is also a
>> fashionable substitute in the West India Islands. But the German
>> establishment for the manufacture of chicory coffee, and what I know
>> of it by my own experience, leads me to recommend in preference, this
>> plant to all others.
>> Previous to the capture of Jena, by Buonaparte, there were upwards of
>> two millions of pounds of chicory coffee, exported from that place and
>> Brunswick to various parts of France and Germany.
>
> I certainly think it deserves a mention, if not a full entry.
>
> Ironically, OED has an entry for chicory alone as a coffee substitute,
> but not for "chicory coffee".
>
>> 2. The root of this plant ground and roasted as an addition to, or
>> substitute for, coffee.
>>
>> [1805 HATCHETT in Phil. Trans. XCV. 301 A sort of coffee prepared from
>> the chicorée (I suppose endive) root..was given me by Sir Joseph
>> Banks.] 1853 A. SOYER Pantroph. 270 Chicory, or succory, is received
>> under the mask of coffee.1872 OLIVER Elem. Bot. II. 199 Chicory, the
>> kiln-dried, and then roasted and powdered root of Cichorium Intybus,
>> used extensively to mix with coffee. Mod. In compliance with the
>> Adulteration Act, this is ‘sold as a mixture of Chicory and Coffee’.
>
> This makes no sense to me.
>
> VS-)
>
> On 3/26/2010 11:21 PM, Victor Steinbok wrote:
>> I am also puzzled that 4.a. includes "dandelion coffee", but not
>> "chicory coffee", which has quite a past in the 20th century and the
>> only beverage demanded by some who avoid actual coffee.
>>
>> This is actually a good one, as one early find is 1879 Supreme Court
>> Reporter entry.
>>
>> http://bit.ly/aMUnoV
>> Chester A. Arthur v. Emil Herold. Decided Nov. 24, 1879
> [...]

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain