Moses with horns

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Sun Mar 28 21:57:42 UTC 2010

Since I'm an old-fashioned linguist I looked it up in a book--not only that but an old one (actually a reprint of an old one)--that happens to be in my study.

According to Gesenius Hebrew-Chaldee Lexicon there are two roots:

qeren (f.) a horn, as of an ox, a goat or a ram. So in all the cognate languages. Also Gr. kiras, Lat. cornu, French corne, Goth haurns, whence Germ. Horn.

and

qa:ran verb denom. to radiate, to emit beams, to shine (used of the face of Moses). Ex. 34:29 etc. Absurdly rendered by Acq. and Vulg. cornuta erat, whence painters represent Moses as having horns.

(Editorial commentary in Gesenius' original text. The IE connections are, of course, to be taken with a grain of Nostratic salt.)

Gesenius Hebrew and Chaldee Lexicon to the Old Testament Scriptures, with additions etc. by Samuel Prideaux Tregelles. Grand Rapids: Eerdmans 1949. p.744

A more recent authority (Klein 1987) connects qeren with Arabic qarn, Akkadian qarnu etc.

The 'shine' word is pretty close to a hapax--a one-time-only occurrence.  It actually only occurs in the story of Moses bringing the tablets, although it is used three times.

Klein, Earnest. 1987. A comprehensive etymological dictionary of the Hebrew language for readers of English. New York: Macmillan. p. 595.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)