Girdle String --> G-string?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Mon Mar 29 04:37:14 UTC 2010

At 12:11 AM -0400 3/29/10, Baker, John wrote:
>To clarify in response to Victor's second paragraph:  Yes, this was
>just a random posting on a message board, entitled to no more
>deference that it can amass through whatever innate persuasiveness
>it can bring to bear.  Exapno Mapcase (the original poster) is
>forthright in disclosing that he or she has no claim to expertise.
>
>I've been following the comments by Victor and others with interest,
>including those from Wilson (while the G-string he discusses is not
>the kind I was talking about, his comments have been very
>educational).  I would also be quite interested in any additional
>insights.
>
>A few thoughts on what facts we seem to have in evidence:
>
>1.  The early spellings are "geestring," "G-string," and "'G'
>string," with the first of these marginally earlier.
>
>2.  The "G string," the lowest string on a violin, is well-attested,
>but there is no specific evidence linking it to the item of apparel.
>
>3.  "Girdle string," with the same or nearly same meaning, is also
>found, but not with any great frequency.  FWIW, the examples of
>"girdle string" generally apply to Old World peoples, while the
>earliest uses of "G-string" apply to American Indians (but see the
>Filipino example cited by Victor).
>
>4.  Nineteenth century writers do not seem to be shy about using
>"girdle," as far as I can tell, so there is no reason to suppose
>that modesty would require a contraction of "girdle string" to
>"G-string."  Modesty would have been a reason to avoid "groin
>string," but if that is the full form, taboo avoidance was so
>successful that it is not found at all.

Then there are the more ...creative etymologies.  Many web
etymologists (on the amateur level) suggest that it resembles the
(capital) letter G.  Others, and I believe we've rehearsed this
theory in the past, suggest that it's so called because it covers the
G spot.  Other than getting the anatomy and chronology wrong, I think
that's a winner.

LH