Sexual meaning of chimney and chimney sweeps in the 18th century?

Mon Mar 29 17:45:55 UTC 2010

The following reference has an entry for "chimney" that contains a
relevant example in the 18th century and multiple examples from
earlier centuries. The link below goes to near the beginning of the
"chimney" entry. On the next page Masquerade Ballad (c. 1720; Farmer
III.233) is given as an example.

Citation: 1994, A Dictionary of Sexual Language and Imagery in
Shakespearean and Stuart literature by Gordon Williams, Continuum
International Publishing Group. (Google Books limited view)

http://books.google.com/books?id=2XtWDhgljvkC&q=%22placing+la+casa%22#v=snippet&

Google Books contains a collection that includes Masquerade Ballad.

Citation: [1720 date given for Masquerade Ballad] 1897, Merry Songs
and Ballads: Volume 3 edited by John S. Farmer, Privately Printed for
Subscribers Only.

Your Chimney-Sweepers with an Air.
Cry, sweep your Chimneys clean:
And shou'd you meet a Scavenger,