No more "Christian name, sir?" in Kent, UK

Judy Prince jbalizsprince at GOOGLEMAIL.COM
Tue Mar 30 03:58:51 UTC 2010

So *Ni* (pronounced "knee") represents your surname Need, and *Ba*
represents your first name, Barbara.  Pretty neat!

My Chinese professor at U of Michigan did as your teacher did.  Thereafter
unable to shake the beauty of spoken and written Chinese, I've had many
years with many Chinese tutors, each of whom has given me a Chinese name.
 My favourite for its beautiful look and sound was the first:  Pei [2nd
tone] Yu [4th tone] Hwei [4th tone].  *Pei* (pronounced "pay", represents
the first letter of my surname Prince, and the other two names are very rare
classical Chinese words for "fragrant" and "bud").

With my last Chicago tutor I decided to give myself a Chinese name, "An
Dao", meaning "Peace Way".  He laughed and refused to allow it, saying that
two-word names were only for men.  My tutor here in Norfolk named me
"Laughing *Pei*" (I've actually forgotten the other 2 Chinese words!).

BTW, why was Chinese a "funny language requirement"?

Best,

An Dao