txt abrvs in speech?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue Mar 30 14:05:36 UTC 2010

At 1:00 AM -0400 3/30/10, Garson O'Toole wrote:
>  Laurence Horn wrote
>>  A student in our freshman seminar in Varieties of English (Raffaella
>>  Zanuttini and I are co-instructors) is interested in tracking down
>>  any previous research on the incorporation of texting abbreviations
>>  (or, less commonly, acronyms) in speech.
>
>The 1998 research article below contains a good example of acronyms
>incorporated into speech courtesy of Bill Gates.

Great.  Perfect; just what he needs.  I thought I
recalled something from American Speech but I
didn't look back far enough on my shelf.  1998?!
Wtf--time really does fly!

Thanks also to Matthew Gordon for the Crystal
book, which I'd forgotten about.  As you say, it
might not be directly relevant, but it would be
useful for him to consult it in any case.

LH