Moses with horns --- PIE and Semitic word for "horn"

Cohen, Gerald Leonard gcohen at MST.EDU
Tue Mar 30 14:48:29 UTC 2010

Yes, this is almost certainly a prehistoric borrowing.  But I don't have my reference books handy to cite any relevant literature about this.

Gerald Cohen

Original message from Herb Stahlke, Tue 3/30/2010 9:08 AM:

At 2:10 PM -0400 3/28/10=2C Wilson Gray wrote:
>According to the story that I heard the translators of the Septuagint
>misread the Hebrew word _qrn_ "ray" for the word _qrn_ "horn" both
>related to _QoReN_ the surname of my first Hebrew professor.

The Hebrew root looks enough like Proto-Indo-European *ker-n that I
wonder if Semitic or PIE borrowed it from the other.

Herb