copy of A Few Words Not in the Dictionaries

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Wed Mar 31 10:01:42 UTC 2010

Attached is the complete text of the article. Aside from the wrong
publication date for Hamst's book, there is a number of other typos, of
which I caught only a handful, and corrected fewer still.

But, I thought, the whole piece should be posted, for a number of
reasons. There are a few interesting juicy bits in it, including the
mention of "initialism" that I have already covered. I also wanted to
single out "functionality" that Henkle identifies with Earle--just like
the OED. Unfortunately, they are both wrong. That will be the topic of
the next post.

     VS-)

http://bit.ly/cNQmMR
The National Teacher. Vol. 3:7. July, 1873.
http://bit.ly/b80h9l
The Ohio Educational Monthly: Organ of the Ohio Teachers' Association.
New Series, Vol. 14:7. July, 1873.
A Few Words Not in the Dictionaries. William Downs Henkle (Salem, Ohio).
p. 252