OT: language origin and creationism

Salikoko S. Mufwene s-mufwene at UCHICAGO.EDU
Wed Mar 31 23:27:35 UTC 2010

Jonathan Lighter wrote:
> There are plenty of liberal-arts Ph.D's who still haven't figured it out.
> They claim that "science" is just a hot new form of "religion" and both
> are merely synonyms for "authoritarian power." They're wrong, but you don't
> have to take my word for it.

SSM: Sadly, the practice of science /cum/ scholarly research among some
of us is not that different from religion. Research paradigms often
instantiate this, research on the origins and evolution of language are
no exception. And, gosh, some personalities pervert it. Maybe I am just
in a bad disputatious mood today?