More broadcast journalism

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sun May 2 13:25:38 UTC 2010

> Arizona's crime rate in 2008 (the latest year for =
which final statistics are available) was the lowest since 1966 (or =
since 1971 if only violent crimes are considered).

In the words of Spock, fascinating. Whenever the words "crime" and "now" are
uttered in the same sentence by a pundit, one tends to assume that
things must be worse then ever.

Yet despite the diminishing overall rate, there may still have been a marked
increase in the rate of crime, esp. violent crime, committed by alien drug
cartels and illegal immigrants. My media-based impression is that this is
true in Phoenix and some other areas. But if it is the case, it should be
made clear. (I for one still don't know whether it's the case or not.)

Either way, though, the new law itself seems increasingly absurd as a way of
addressing either problem - violent crime or illegal immigrants. And violent
crime is generally offered as the rationale.

Could it be that the majority of Arizona politicians are more interested in
kissing frightened voter butt than in dealing effectively with either crime
or immigration?  They used to just kiss babies.

Or so it's said.

JL