"... sore eyed negroes ..."

Dan Goncharoff thegonch at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 3 15:10:21 UTC 2010

Sounds more serious than that:

http://bit.ly/a3O4GG

Sore Eyes.
Negroes are frequently troubled with sore eyes, and sometimes very
obstinate ones. If they do net threaten life, the/ sometimes deprive
them of the use of a precious organ, which, as a man has only two of
them, he would willingly preserve, considering its great utility, and
that a very possible chance might deprive him of the other, and so
consign him to darkness for the remainder of his life.
When a negro is attacked with sore eyes, if the inflammation be slight,
it will be proper to put him in a room, where there is neither fire nor
smoke, and but little light. Let his eyes be covered with a piece of
linen rag, bound round the forehead, btrt so as not to press tightly
upon it, and bathe the eyes frequently with warm water.
If the inflammation be very considerable, draw half a pint of blood from
the arm, and give one of the following purges...

DanG