"Connecring the dots": origin?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Tue May 4 02:05:39 UTC 2010

At 9:32 PM -0400 5/3/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>I've also always had the feeling that the reference to the :picture"
>game, too. In "dots," the point isn't to learn, discover, or reason
>through anything, but to defeat your opponent.
>
>Sadly, I recall dots with less pleasure than Larry does, it being the
>case that my younger brother regularly kicked my ass, metaphorically
>speaking, in that game. Well, as my otherwise-loving wife has pointed
>out, I lack any concept of strategy.

It is indeed the game at the wiki entry Garson provides, although I
don't recall any specific name for it; besides the pencil and paper
variant at that site, there's the game I was recalling as
"Territories", "Territory", or "Land", which I finally found after
some searching on the web under jack-knife games.  (I forgot that
crucial feature.)  It's described here under "Territory Land", (a
moniker which would have struck us as redundant even back then):
http://www.4to40.com/games/index.asp?gid=4.  ("Stretch", mentioned in
the discussion, is also familiar, but it was a lot less interesting
strategically.)   I like the "equipment required" parameter:  "A plot
of dirt and a jack knife."  (And yes, even in NYC, there was dirt
available, contrary to the implications at the web site.  I think the
advent of TV had more to do with the decline of the game than the
absence of dirt.)

Other sites, e.g. http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-mumblety-peg.htm,
take Territories/Land to be "a version of mumblety-peg" but for us
(in NYC and a Maine-based boys' summer camp for mostly New Yorkers)
"mumblety-peg" was reserved for the kinds of display-of-skill
contests  described in detail at
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mumblety-peg.  (Interesting that m-p
turns up in _Tom Sawyer_; I probably took that for granted back when
I read it.)

LH

(And no, we didn't play these games with switch blades.)