yoda as a genericq

victor steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 4 22:07:00 UTC 2010

Ron, you're right--if you believe that "sure sign" is a legal term. Of
course, if I wanted to make it a definitive criterion, I would have
said ... hmm, let me think about it ... I probably would have used
"dispositive" or "legal criterion" or something else that would have
conveyed the meaning "legally binding". Last I checked, "sign", even a
"sure sign" was merely an indication. But, yes, verbing is a much
stronger indication than de-capitalization. The test is actually a
multi-part list. Popular perception is an element, but it is hard to
quantify. More importantly is the lack of enforcement of the
mark-holder against violators who use the mark as a generic term.
Another factor is whether the mark-holder made an effort to
distinguish its product from other similar products--for example, if
they refer to "Kleenex tissues" rather than simply "Kleenex".

VS-)