"Methamphetamine prose"

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 5 01:26:17 UTC 2010

Back in the '70's I read an article about speed that contained an
anecdote something like this:

Instead of working on 25-page paper due at eight o'clock the next
morning, guy is getting down with his old lady. Suddenly, he remembers
about the paper and freaks. But, it's already after midnight: no time
even to pull an all-nighter. Girlfriend, who pictures herself as
overweight, suggests that he drop one of her coincidentally
methamphetamine-based diet pills. By six the next morning, as he
begins to come down, he notices that he has successfully completed
more than 400 pages. Unfortunately, a quick scan reveals that the
whole paper is nothing but gibberish.

Perhaps Keller had read or heard about the same article.

-Wilson

On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:45 PM, Laurence Horn <laurence.horn at yale.edu> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: "Methamphetamine prose"
>
> At 4:56 PM -0400 5/4/10, Dan Goncharoff wrote:
>>"The Powers That Be" depended on many scores of interviews, and it is a
>>propulsive read (or an exhausting one, depending on how you feel about
>>Halberstam's methamphetamine prose).
>
> designed for speed reading
>
> LH
>

>>from Bill Keller's review of Alan Brinkley's The Publisher in the
>>NYTimes Book Review, published April 22, 2010

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain