Cognitive dissonance

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 5 12:29:04 UTC 2010

I'm familiar with "peckerwood" as an insulting, biracial South Midland
synonym for "poor white trash."  It can also be a dismissive term that can
be used affectionately
That sense may be restricted to whites.

Cf. the earlier, similar (and more widespread) evolution of "rascal,"
"scamp, "bugger," etc.

JL