Rat-tail(ed) [comb and] broom

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 6 05:20:34 UTC 2010

That's the right comb. It's the full-sized pushbroom that's the
ignorant stick. It's the handier ooblect that sppears to have been
inspired by the pushbroom that's called a rat-tailed broom. I have to
remember to ask my wife the name of a peculiak kind of brush that she
has, but has never used. WAG: it's something used to brush crumbs off
a tablecloth. I was going to use it to brush spilled kitty crackers
off the kitchen floor till she broke nasty on me.

-Wilson

On Wed, May 5, 2010 at 10:51 AM, Joel S. Berson <Berson at att.net> wrote:
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      Re: Rat-tail(ed) [comb and] broom
>
> At 5/4/2010 09:36 PM, Wilson Gray wrote:
>>My mother also used a type of comb that she called a "rat-tailed"
>>comb. She was also an East-Texan: born in Longview, reared in
>>Marshall.
>
> Did the comb look like and was it used like the
> one in the video one can see on the web?  (Google "rat-tail comb".)
>
> I associate "rat-tail comb" with one having a
> long handle (as contrasted with one having
> bristles up to each end), but not being much into
> feminine hair styling I was not familiar with the
> ratty tail (narrow diameter, too narrow for a
> facile handle) and the use videoed.
>
> I have something similar to Wilson's description
> of his "ignorance stick", only it is of course
> not pushed, that has soft "bristles" and is
> useful for cleaning up fine particles.  I too,
> like his wife, call it a "dust broom" (NY City),
> not a "rat-tail broom".  There's a picture of
> something similar to mine at
> http://www.bobbyberkhome.com/show_product/25413/?utm_source=froogle&utm_medium=datafeed&utm_term=25413
>
> Joel
>

>>-Wilson
>>
>>On Tue, May 4, 2010 at 8:43 PM, Darla Wells <lethe9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > ---------------------- Information from the
>> mail header -----------------------
>> > Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
>> > Poster:       Darla Wells <lethe9 at GMAIL.COM>
>> > Subject:      Re: Rat-tail(ed) broom

>> > never heard that one, but we use _rat-tailed comb_ a whole lot
>> > Darla

>> > ------

>> > --=20
>> > If you can't be a good example, then you'll just have to be a horrible
>> > warning. -Catherine Aird

>> > The American Dialect Society - http://www.americandialect.org
>> >

>>--
>>-Wilson
>>­­­
>>All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"­­a strange complaint to
>>come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
>>­Mark Twain

-Wilson
–––
–Mark Twain