groin

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Mon May 10 15:21:35 UTC 2010

Many many years ago, when I lived in Hawaii and was studying karate, one of my instructors, who was mostly monolectal in Hawaiian English, consistently referred to the zone in question as the 'groan'. Since there is an /oi/ phoneme in HE I was never clear whether this was an idiosyncratic pronunciation or a malapropism. Didn't know him well enough to ask.
If it was a malapropism it was a nice one, but it tended to disrupt the class, which sometimes dissolved into giggles...

Geoff

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)