Short take: "smiley face" - OED WOTD

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 10 18:00:42 UTC 2010

My guess is that any "smiley face" in 1957 must have been inspired by what
young children draw atop stick figures.  Twenty years later, the yellow Ball
design had completely usurped that semantic space.

As Victor says, the Ball face has certainly come to symbolize "banality"
also.

The Ball design differs from even the most perfect child's smiley face in
much the same way as one of Roy Lichtenstein's revised pop-art cartoon
panels differs from the original. Few kids could have drawn the Ball face's
dimply mouth with such adeptness, and few would have eschewed big dots for
eyes in favor of Ball's small, upright oblongs.

Too bad you didn't trademark the fanged smiley, Victor. You'd be worth
millions.

JL