wild about Rappaccini's Daughter

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Tue May 11 00:15:12 UTC 2010

No biggie.

1830 Nathaniel Ames _A Mariner's Sketches_  (Providence: Cory, Marshall and
Hammond) 7 [ref. to 1815]: The ceremony of shaving on crossing the line was
omitted, to the manifest disappointment of the "old salts" and great relief
and gratification of those of us who were uninitiated.  Ibid. 247: Whistling
at sea is never tolerated except in a calm. "A whistling sailor, a crowing
hen and a swearing woman ought all three to go to hell together;" so say the
*old salts. *

The word has also been applied in the USMC to veteran marines (usu. NCOs),
presumably for nearly as long.

JL