Leatherneck [Was: antedating: jarhead]

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Wed May 12 15:25:38 UTC 2010

Tedious notes follow:

An early British ex. that supports Victor's sugg. that "leatherneck" was
specifically a sailors' word denoting a marine and not a soldier in
general.  Just when the reported exchange is supposed to have occurred is
unfortunately not clear, but the author has just finished narrating events
of the Crimean War. The implication, of course, is that "leatherneck" was
decades old in the Royal Navy:
**
1898  D. H. Parry *Britain’s Roll of Glory*  (London: Cassell) 52]: As a
general rule the Marines and Bluejackets are the best of friends, but in the
old days the relations were sometimes strained, and dubious compliments
often exchanged.

 "Go on, leather-neck!" quoth the seaman, with a powerful adjective, to the
marine in his scarlet coatee and stiff stock.

"Go on, you flat-footed nigger!" replies the marine to the bluejacket, with
a stronger substantive than was parliamentary, and a longing to bring down
the butt of his gun on Jack's bare toes, as he passed him at his work; which
sample of fo'cs'l courtesy I received from an ancient mariner who sailed in
the "old wooden walls" long before turret-ships were dreamed of.
"Flat-foot," as shown by HDAS, was once also a common U.S. epithet for a
bulejacket, esp. a deckhand, but it seems to have faded out before WWII.

It seems to me that like so much 19th C. naval slang, "leatherneck" probably
came to the U.S. Navy from the British, presumably after the Civil War,
since there are no known Civil War exx. of it or refs. to it.

The U.S. armed forces were so small between 1865 and 1917 that writers would
have been unlikely to have recorded "leatherneck" unless it was in extremely
common use.  (Even early British exx. are spread thin.)  Its appearance  in
Kipling's story  undoubtedly influenced the word's general circulation.

19th C. sailors may not have bothered overmuch to distinguish members of the
Marine Corps from from members of the Army. The crucial difference was not
the uniform or the organization but that sailors could handle rigging and
perform crucial actions at sea that soldiers and marines could not.
Sailors "knew the ropes." They considered themselves superior to people who
could only drill, guard, march, and shoot. And when there was shooting, it
wasn't terribly accurate.

"Soldiering" was the usu. bluejacket synonym for goldbricking, and "marine"
was an epithet equivalent to "idiot." There may not have been a felt need
for separate epithets for soldiers and marines

JL