OED and definition of "siphon"

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Wed May 12 16:10:43 UTC 2010

From: "Dan Goncharoff" <thegonch at GMAIL.COM>

> Maybe they are both right:
>
> http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2372/how-does-a-siphon-work
>
> DanG

This came up independently on another list (in the wake of a singularly
venomous discussion of the correctness of the OED definition of "jump-cut").
I'll append the final post, which included most of the relevant
pre-discussion, in case anyone is interested.  (One listmember provided a
pretty detailed explanation of the science behind the issue.)

Robin