on my six (UNCLASSIFIED)

Fri May 14 17:40:40 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

OED has cites for "o'clock" meaning direction as far back as 1797 under
"o'clock"; the usage is more or less equivalent to the sense alluded to
by Victor below from 1684 under "six".

_Approach_ June 1970 p 10 col 1
"Someone is going to hear the words, "Watch your six," in his headset
and shortly
afterward there will be an aluminum shower in the west 40."

"Local pastor prays for peace -- within the House;" Dori Meinert. _The
Tribune_. San Diego, Calif.: Sep 19, 1985. pg. A.17 [col unknown --
source is not a page image]
"And "the Fighting Black Lion," a fighter plane, under which someone has
penned the phrase "check six." In pilot terminology, "check your six"
means "check your rear.""

Trahan, M. "Check six, George." _Flying_ v. 114 (February 1987) p. 104
[article title]

U.S. finds invasion of Panama led it into a tougher job; SUSAN BENESCH.
_St. Petersburg Times._ St. Petersburg, Fla.: Dec 31, 1989. pg. 1.A [col
unknown -- source is not a page image]
""You walk on their six, you don't let them walk on your six," said Maj.
Carter Thomas. He meant, he explained, that you don't let them walk
behind you."

_The Annapolis Capital_ 11/4/1992 p D1 col 4
""You constantly had to watch your six (o'clock) - watch behind you,"
she said."

_Maximum PC_ June 2005 p 95 col 2
"The Geeks have got your six!"