vegetable terms

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Fri May 14 19:43:06 UTC 2010

This evokes one of my cookbook pet peeves. It is very difficult to find recipes for these things because cookbooks never agree on what to call them. Sometimes you can find them under 'beans, green/string/pole...', but other times under 'string' or 'green' or something.
Just for fun I checked and found that 'string' and 'green' beans in 2 quick searches led to non-overlapping sets of recipes.


Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)

----- "Charles Doyle" <cdoyle at UGA.EDU> wrote:

> From: "Charles Doyle" <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Sent: Friday, May 14, 2010 3:30:36 PM GMT -05:00 US/Canada Eastern
> Subject: vegetable terms
> ---------------------- Information from the mail header
> -----------------------
> Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
> Poster:       Charles Doyle <cdoyle at UGA.EDU>
> Subject:      vegetable terms
> -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> In the American South, we commonly refer to green/string beans as
> "snap beans" or "pole beans" (not parallel or distinguishing terms;
> "snap" refers to the manner of preparation for cooking; "pole" refers
> to the procedure for raising beans in the garden).

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list