origin of "mess with the bull, get the horns"?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sat May 15 13:40:56 UTC 2010

At 12:31 AM -0400 5/15/10, Wilson Gray wrote:
>Ca, 1961, I heard it in the Army as,
>
>Fuck with the bull (fail to follow S.O.P.), and you get horned [sic]
>(take the meat = "suffer punishment that, by civilian norms, *far*
>outweighs the crime")!
>
>In my mind - a WAG, of course - the reference was to bull-fighting,
>that being a sport in which people regularly fuck with bulls and
>regularly get horned. Yet, as is the case with failing to follow
>S.O.P., no one is forced to do it.
>
>-Wilson

Or it could be an allusion to the plot of Carmen
(great version put on by the Met just shown on
public television), except there the guy who
fucks with the bull (the toreador [don't spit on
the floor] Escamillo) causes the *other* guy (the
army officer Don José) to get horned.

LH