to be numerate

Robin Hamilton robin.hamilton2 at BTINTERNET.COM
Tue May 18 11:58:27 UTC 2010

> Is the term "numeracy" used in USA akin to the term "literacy"?  So that
> one should be "numerate" as well as "literate".
>

> From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
> The portmanteau of "numerical literacy" was coined in 1959 by the UK
> Committee on Education, presided over by Sir Geoffrey Crowther.[1]
>

> Tom Zurinskas, USA - CT20, TN3, NJ33, FL7+

"Numeracy" (the term, that is) seems to be much more of a UK thing than a US
one -- a quick google on <numeracy literacy> suggested that almost all the
sites appearing had .uk in the domain name.  I didn't try a parallel search
on google books or google news, but I suspect the same balance would emerge.

It's certainly a perfectly familiar term to me in the UK, commonplace even,
though I can't think when I would first have heard it.

            Robin