"lewd walking"

Baker, John M. JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Tue May 18 20:43:51 UTC 2010

        The prohibition on "wearing of bone lace, gold or silver
buttons" is not codified in the General Laws of Massachusetts.  I
suppose it's possible that it's an older statute, one that has never
been codified and, because everyone has forgotten about it, has never
been repealed, but if that is the case then its current status as a
penal statute is doubtful.  I'm generally quite skeptical of "weird law"
compilations.

        "Lewd walking" probably refers to chapter 272, section 53 of the
General Laws:

Common night walkers, common street walkers, both male and female,
common railers and brawlers, persons who with offensive and disorderly
acts or language accost or annoy persons of the opposite sex, lewd,
wanton and lascivious persons in speech or behavior, idle and disorderly
persons, disturbers of the peace, keepers of noisy and disorderly
houses, and persons guilty of indecent exposure may be punished by
imprisonment in a jail or house of correction for not more than six
months, or by a fine of not more than two hundred dollars, or by both
such fine and imprisonment.

John Baker