Vietnam

Geoff Nathan geoffnathan at WAYNE.EDU
Wed May 19 14:26:57 UTC 2010

Without wanting to get into a political hoo-haw about this, I should note that Mr. Blumenthal is reputed to have said 'in Vietnam' not once but several times. Once I could understand being a 'misspeaking', although normal people correct errors like that at once, as Jonathan suggests. But normal people don't make that kind of speech error several times on different occasions--real speech errors don't work that way. And I agree with Jonathan also that attempting to spin the phrase makes no sense at all, either. In this context, 'in' means 'in', not 'during'. And, since he's roughly my age, I don't think he's speaking some 'advanced' dialect either.

Plainly, whatever his other merits, he was claiming something he didn't have.

Geoffrey S. Nathan
Faculty Liaison, C&IT
and Associate Professor, Linguistics Program
+1 (313) 577-1259 (C&IT)
+1 (313) 577-8621 (English/Linguistics)