Legalistics

Wed May 19 16:12:01 UTC 2010

The phrase "confessed Times Square bomber" has been used in some media
outlets. The reported confession has not been evaluated in a court,
and as a non-lawyer I do not offer an exegesis on potential legal
ramifications. The phrase does appear in a New York Daily News
headline online:

Confessed Times Square bomber Faisal Shahzad's hatred stemmed from
personal failure, war on terror
BY Kevin Deutsch In Shelton, Conn. and Alison Gendar, Rocco
Parascandola and Rich Schapiro
DAILY NEWS WRITERS
Originally Published:Wednesday, May 5th 2010, 11:01 PM
Updated: Thursday, May 6th 2010, 4:41 AM
http://bit.ly/timesqconfess

An opinion article in the Washington Post also uses the phrase
"confessed Times Square bomber":

How to modernize Miranda for the Age of Terror
By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, May 7, 2010
http://bit.ly/9nBkGe

Another New York Daily News article uses the term "self-confessed
Times Square bomber":

Times Square terror scare: Change to Miranda interrogation laws may be
coming, White House says
BY David Saltonstall
DAILY NEWS SENIOR CORRESPONDENT
Monday, May 10th 2010, 4:42 AM

In the Washington Post more recently opinion columnist Charles
Krauthammer referred to the suspect as "the Times Square bomber" after
referring to him as the "confessed Times Square bomber" earlier in the
article.

Modernizing Miranda: A new consensus
By Charles Krauthammer
Friday, May 14, 2010
The fact that the Times Square bomber did talk after he was Mirandized
is blind luck.
http://bit.ly/awXoQX

The dates given above may be inaccurate because sometimes online
articles are revised without notice.
Garson