Legalistics

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Thu May 20 05:20:00 UTC 2010

Heard on the news yesterday, "Confessed New York would-be bomber". This
avoids the issue of guilt, but also tries to finesse the meaning of
"bomber".

I generally agree with what Dave Wilton wrote on the subject. I do want
to add that there are two areas of potential liability here. One is the
media, which is expressly manifested by the Jewell case. But there is
also an odd aspect in that prosecutors want to imply guilt, but would
rather have it reported as an allegation.

It is also important to know that the use of "suspect" and "alleged" in
media reports significantly predate the Atlanta Olympics bombing. At
this point, it is long incorporated into many style manuals.

     VS-)