Legalistics (UNCLASSIFIED)

Baker, John M. JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Thu May 20 23:33:38 UTC 2010

        I often think that reporters overuse "alleged," but I don't
think this is an instance of it.  It's true that Attorney General Holder
said that Shadzad has confessed involvement with the bombing, but there
is a big difference between involvement (which could even mean
involvement that is innocent or nearly so) and actually being the
bomber.  The criminal complaint,
http://s3.amazonaws.com/nytdocs/docs/333/333.pdf, lays out a plausible
but circumstantial case against him.  The most I think you can say is
that Shahzad is the alleged or reported bomber.  To go beyond that
really requires either leaps of faith or putting a probably unjustified
confidence in anonymous leaks, even putting aside the well-known issues
of reliability of confessions.

        This does not mean that truth is in some sort of suspended state
until there is a definitive legal ruling.  What it does mean is that,
when a news report is based on something less than established fact,
there should at the least be some warning to that effect.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Dave Wilton
Sent: Thursday, May 20, 2010 3:59 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: Legalistics (UNCLASSIFIED)

That's too tentative, casting doubt on facts that have been clearly
established. (And yes, I realize that the original was done in fun.) The
point being that you can clearly lay out the facts without being
excessively
tentative. This would be better (and you can even avoid "alleged bomber"
if
that phrasing is objectionable to you for whatever reason):

"Law enforcement officials state that Mr. Shahzad has confessed his
involvement in the Times Square bombing plot. They have also tentatively
identified him in surveillance videos of the bombing attempt. Mr.
Shahzad is
under arrest, and his interrogation has resulted in raids at several
locations and the arrests of several individuals who may have been
involved,
perhaps unwittingly, in the transfer of funds used to carry out the
attempted attack."