OT: a study in contrast (GB notes)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri May 21 19:12:47 UTC 2010

This is really apropos of nothing in particular. I found the preface to
this book to be a brief but fascinating study in contrast. The sense of
"irritating" here is also unclear to me.

Chapter 22 contains some folk stories that the authors tried to preserve
in the dialect (although, of course, only superficially so). Some of the
stuff has a very Kiplingian feel to it, but, of course, the version of
How the Leopard Got His Spots is completely different--it involves
Ananse, the spider quite common in West African folklore. (And, if I am
not mistaken, "ananse" means "spider" in some local Ghanaian dialects.
Little knowledge is a dangerous thing.)

     VS-)

http://books.google.com/books?id=KikUAAAAIAAJ
We Two in West Africa. By DECIMA MOORE AND MAJOR F. G. [Sir Frederick
Gordon] GUGGISBERG, C.M.G., R.E. Author of " The Shop." "Modern
Warfare," etc. London: 1909