Gumshoe lobbying

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Mon May 24 03:22:53 UTC 2010

On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 10:12 PM, Dan Goncharoff wrote:

> Gumshoes are the rubber covers put on leather shoes to
> protect them from the rain and mud.

_Overshoes_, also (once?) known as "rubbers," are the rubber covers ..."

_Gumshoes_ is a term used in the U.S. for what are known in New South
Wales - and, possibly, elsewhere - Australia, as "sandshoes." My
informant, sadly, has no information WRT to the etymology of the term

All say, "How hard it is that we have to die!"––a strange complaint to
come from the mouths of people who have had to live.
–Mark Twain

The American Dialect Society -

More information about the Ads-l mailing list