heighth/drouth

Charles Doyle cdoyle at UGA.EDU
Wed May 26 17:33:18 UTC 2010

Wilson, both "heighth" and "drouth" were my pronunciations growing up in eastern Texas in the 1950s and 1960s.

I remember years ago (probably c1970) I was discussing the point with Ed Finegan, who suggested (regarding "heighth") that a dyslexic spelling-pronunciation was involved. I assume he was joking. The "-th" nominalizations are historically normal ("depth," "tilth," etc.); what needs to be explained is their sporadic loss in other dialects.

Charlie