real-time (UNCLASSIFIED)

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Mon Nov 1 15:22:51 UTC 2010

Even if Black was using the phrase in semi-technical sense, others aren't.
I just saw a commercial for something called McGladrey that has an actor
saying, "In this business, you have to know what's going on in real time."

Turns out he's playing golf and "in real time" can only mean "as it happens;
right now."

Cf.
http://www.nbcconnecticut.com/news/local-beat/Violence-Threatens-a-Popular-Vacation-Destination-94793264.html
from
last May:

  "The State Department has issued a travel alert for Kingston, which is a
distance away from the key vacation spots of Negril, Montego Bay and Ocho
Rios. Still, many wonder if their beach getaways could be disrupted.

" 'This is why I recommend talking to your booking agent so that you
actually know what's going on, in real time, and what's happening at that
point and time,' said Hird."

In other words, "at that specific time."

JL