Partially Off Topic: Article: Can We Create a National Digital Library? by Robert Darnton

Wed Nov 3 15:11:27 UTC 2010

The New York Review of Books website recently posted an article by
Harvard professor Robert Darnton about the possibility of creating a
National Digital Library. In the past Darnton has written about the
Google Books archive and digital libraries in general. I think that
this topic is especially relevant to many researchers on this list.

Can We Create a National Digital Library? by Robert Darnton
October 28, 2010 - New York Review of Books

The following talk was given at the opening of a conference at Harvard
on October 1 to discuss the possibility of creating a National Digital
Library.

The purpose of this meeting is to discuss a question of vital
importance to the cultural life of our country: Can we create a
National Digital Library? That is, a comprehensive library of
digitized books that will be easily accessible to the general public.
Simple as it sounds, the question is extraordinarily complex.

http://www.nybooks.com/articles/archives/2010/oct/28/can-we-create-national-digital-library/

The Atlantic has an article dated November 1 titled "Inside the Google
Books Algorithm" by Alexis Madrigal:

http://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2010/11/inside-the-google-books-algorithm/65422/