And in (additional) honor of the Giants' World Series win...

Thu Nov 4 13:54:56 UTC 2010

The phrase "cheap home runs" was in use by 1896, and there are
multiple instances before 1927. Here is one:

Cite: 1896 January 19, Galveston Daily News, Jim Nolan's Gossip, Page
4, Galveston, Texas. (NewspaperArchive)

A long line of bleachers down from center to right will accommodate
the field crowd. The enlarged size of the grounds will enable the
outfielders to cover more ground and take in fly balls that went for
cheap home runs before. Batsmen will have to earn their triples and
home runs hereafter.

A profile of John Robert Mize appeared in the New York Times in 1948.
This is many years after the introduction of the term "Chinese homer"
as shown by Jon's great 1927 citation. However, this cite might
provide some insight into the perception of a sportswriter in 1948.
The passage below seems to imply that "cheap" and "Chinese" are
interchangeable when applied to homers.

Cite: 1948 February 1, New York Times, "Sports of the Times: Of Mize
and Men" by Arthur Daley, Page S2, New York, New York. (ProQuest)

He just takes his healthy cut and overpowers the ball. Few of Mize
homers are of the "cheap" or "Chinese" variety which are indigenous to
the Polo Grounds. His are very solidly whacked, circuit shots in any
ball park.

In 1951 uncertainty is expressed about the origin of the phrase.

Cite: 1951 October 10, Ironwood Daily Globe, Sidelights On Series by
Will Grimsley, Page 15, Ironwood, Michigan. (NewspaperArchive)

The Chinese home run is now a popular part of the baseball language,
but nobody seems to know how the the (repeated the sic) expression
originated. One expert said a Chinese home run is "one long hop." but
others declare its (sic) a cheap or phony blow hit into into the wrong
field or off the end of the bat—cheap like Chinese currency.

An origin legend that credits cartoonist Thomas Aloysius (Tad) Dorgan
appeared in the New York Times in 1954. This may be the source for the
story that Larry mentioned in Dickson's "New Baseball Dictionary".
Below I excerpt a biographical comment about Tad:

Cite: 1954 October 1, New York Times, "'Chinese Homer': How It All
Began: Cartoonist Tad Credited as Coiner of Term" by Joseph M.
Sheehan, Page 29, New York, New York. (ProQuest)

In fairness to Dorgan, a benign and gentle satirist, it should be
stressed that in introducing the "Chinese homer" phrase he had no
thought of disparaging the Chinese people. As a matter of fact, Tad, a
native San Franciscan, had two adopted sons of Chinese ancestry.