shellacking

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 5 13:39:56 UTC 2010

The 1924 date beats HDAS (1930), but I found no citational bias toward the
South or to AAVE.  With New York and Chicago the sportswriting capitals of
America for decades, the cites seem to favor their spheres of influence.

I too found Obama's usage unremarkable, though I haven't heard the word in a
long time. It may be getting attention because it suggests a total defeat,
with the victim beaten nearly helpless.

The corresponding active verb is far less common.

JL