shellacking

Fri Nov 5 15:10:33 UTC 2010

Excellent article, Ben. Here is an example of "shellac" in the domain
of baseball in 1923. Interestingly, the score is only 2-0, a shutout.
During a quick scan of the difficult to read text I was only able to
locate "shellac" in the headline.

Cite: 1923 Jun 25, The Hartford Courant, "LUQUE'S STREAK ENDS WHEN
CUBS SHELLAC REDS, 2 TO 0", Page 12, Hartford, Conn. (ProQuest)

Here is an example in May 1924 where the score is 11-0. That is an
old-fashioned shellacking (perhaps new-fashioned in 1924).

Cite: 1924 May 26, The Hartford Courant, "GIANTS BEAT REDS IN NINTH;
CUBS SHELLAC BOSTON BRAVES", Page 15, Hartford, Conn. (ProQuest)

Garson