George Mason University has bought a Vocabula Review site license

Baker, John JMB at STRADLEY.COM
Fri Nov 5 17:42:39 UTC 2010

        In addition to these points, with which I agree, I think that
there is a clear difference between Mr. Fiske's usual posts, announcing
new issues of Vocabula, and this post, which can have no purpose other
than puffery.  I would not object to (in fact, generally I would
welcome) a listmember's post announcing the publication of a book or the
existence of a website or blog by that listmember.  I would find it
objectionable if the same listmember subsequently posted that the book,
website, or blog received a good review, unless there were some
additional matter of interest in the post or review.

John Baker

-----Original Message-----
From: American Dialect Society [mailto:ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU] On Behalf
Of Michael Quinion
Sent: Friday, November 05, 2010 12:51 PM
To: ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU
Subject: Re: George Mason University has bought a Vocabula Review site
license

Jesse Sheidlower wrote:

> The fact that Mr. Fiske does not otherwise contribute to the list, and
> that his views are opposed to those of most list members, might be the
> main issue here.

It isn't for me. Please take it that my objection is exactly as I
stated.

> Since the quantity of such messages is not overwhelming (and they
could
> be easily filtered out), and, as is usual, all recent such messages
have
> already been overwhelmed by this very discussion about them, I'd say
> that we should just accept the occasional one and move on.

It's good to discuss such matters from time to time, even if only to re-
establish the ground rules. I would argue that Mr Fiske ought to have
his
wrist figuratively slapped, even if gently. And the volume of discussion
on a topic can be a good marker of the level of interest.

--
Michael Quinion
Editor, World Wide Words

John M. Baker, Esquire
Stradley Ronon Stevens & Young, LLP
1250 Connecticut Avenue, N.W., Suite 500
Washington, DC 20036-2652
p: 202.419.8413
f: 202.822.0140

U.S. Treasury Circular 230 Notice: We inform you that, unless expressly stated otherwise, any U.S. federal tax advice contained in this communication, including attachments, is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, by any taxpayer for the purpose of avoiding any penalties that may be imposed on such taxpayer by the Internal Revenue Service. In addition, if any such tax advice is used or referred to by other parties to promote, market, or recommend any transaction or investment, then (i) the advice should be construed as written in connection with the promotion or marketing by others of the transaction(s) or matter(s) addressed in this communication and (ii) the taxpayer should seek advice based on the taxpayer's particular circumstances from an independent tax advisor.
This electronic mail message, and any attachments transmitted with it, contain confidential information, intended only for the named addressee(s). If you are not the intended recipient or the person responsible for delivering this e-mail to the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any use, distribution, copying or disclosure of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you have received this e-mail in error, please immediately notify the sender by reply e-mail, and delete all copies of this communication from your computer and network. Thank you.