"Junges Girl mit Mama und Papa" [NT]

Wilson Gray hwgray at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 6 22:56:46 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 6, 2010 at 6:07 PM, Douglas G. Wilson <douglas at nb.net> wrote:

> [Japanese has not only "gaaru" = "girl" (also "chiagaaru" = "[female]
> cheerleader", etc., etc.) but also "gyaru" = "gal". _No grammatical
> genders_ though.]

Precisely! That is exactly the feature of Japanese society - no
grammatical gender in that society's language - that makes it the
perfect exemplar of equality between the genders in words referencing
human beings in the English-speaking world. It is, from that point of
view, superior to Turkish society, which, though its language doesn't
recognize Masculine and Feminine grammatical gender, it does recognize
Neuter grammatical gender.

--
-Wilson
–––