another (over)negation?

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Sun Nov 7 00:47:28 UTC 2010

At 7:27 PM -0400 11/6/10, Jonathan Lighter wrote:
>Some people just can't handle more than one negative in a sentence. (I don't
>mean "double negatives" in the usual sense; I mean short-attention-span
>syntax.)

"Piled-up negatives prove easy stumbling-blocks."
--W. H. Hodgson, _Errors in the Use of English_ (1885: 218), New
York: Appleton.

I like to call these "_parole_ violations" to distinguish them from
conventionalized instances of hypernegation like "I miss not seeing
you around" or of course negative concord.

LH