sauce (UNCLASSIFIED)

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Fri Nov 12 17:47:16 UTC 2010

I am not entirely convinced that these two are of the same origin. "Weak
sauce" sounds like a substitute for "weak tea" and "small beer"--perhaps
a conscious substitution made at one point by people who don't drink tea
and would not know of small beer, so they could not recollect what it
was that was "weak" and made a "natural" substitution.

"Awesome sauce" is not likely to have the same origin--unless it
happened to be directly designed as an antonym to "weak sauce", which is
what Ben Zimmer said. There is a hint of alliteration in it and a
possible sexual connotation (lost over time, perhaps). Another
possibility--as Garson's first find suggests--it's the sauce that makes
things awesome when added, so it's not the sauce that's "awesome", but
there is a quantity of "awesome" /in/ the sauce. Again, if this is the
case, it is not parallel to "weak sauce". At least, that's what the
original intent might have been. At this point, it makes no difference
in use.

     VS-)