"drug" and irregulation

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 12 19:34:36 UTC 2010

At 2:16 PM -0500 11/12/10, Joel S. Berson wrote:
>I thought the tendency was for irregular verbs to become
>regular?

the opposite tendency exists too; cf. "dove", an innovative past
tense form.  usually analogy is brought in to explain (or at least
catalogue) such developments.

>   Here Bush seems to be drugging in the irregular.

Why?  "Drug" as a strong past tense (or participle) of "drag" has
been around a lot longer than either Bush.  I'd think this is just
standard (or standard non-standard) Texas usage GWB picked up, not a
case of a regular verb becoming irregular.  (Cf. snuck, clumb,...)  I
have it, at least passively, in at least one context:  "Look what the
cat drug in."

LH