Return of the Big Kahuna(s)

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Fri Nov 12 23:50:32 UTC 2010

In a college football game last night, University of Connecticut
coach Randy Edsall had his team, which was deep in his own territory
protecting a 2-point lead, go for a first down on fourth and 2 with
just over two minutes left against Pittsburgh rather than going the
conservative route and punting.  Star running back Jordan Todman got
the first down and UConn successfully ran out the clock to win the
game.  Afterwards, Edsall explained, "Some people might say it takes
a lot of Kahunas to make that call. I just looked at the situation."

I just heard this statement on the local Connecticut news==and yes,
the sports anchor did comment that that probably wasn't Edsall meant,
but he's certainly the Big Kahuna now.  Googling "Randy Edsall" +
"Kahunas" indicates that a number of other observers had caught this
eggcorn, some referring to it as Edsall's "ballsy" call or move.  A
nice Hispano-Hawaiian blend, in any case.

LH