violence = 'personal or social domination of any kind'

Jonathan Lighter wuxxmupp2000 at GMAIL.COM
Sat Nov 13 18:12:53 UTC 2010

I doubt much that this is a "resurrection," largely because it seems to have
originated in French (the language of the _philosophes_), and because it
represents
a supposedly insightful assertion of equivalence, or even identity, between
actual violence and metaphorical violence - which may not be "violent" at
all.

Technically, Bourdieu considers domination to be "symbolic violence."  But,
as in the cite, he, as well as his followers, easily slip into the use of
the word "violence" to cover what is more subtle (and therefore more mundane
and boring) than actual violence.

Random example (the first one produced by a GB search for "violence against
women"):

1996 National Research Council _Understanding Violence against Women_
[Washington, D.C.: National Academies Press] 9: The term violence against
women has been used to describe a wide range of acts including murder, . . .
emotional abuse, . . . sexual harassment, and pornography.

JL