It's Official: NOAD Demeans Self for PR Gold

Victor Steinbok aardvark66 at GMAIL.COM
Tue Nov 16 02:46:09 UTC 2010

I can live with "refudiate"--whatever!

But can we please refer to Palin by her full title, please?

> The former governor used the word in a Twitter message last summer,
> calling on "peaceful Muslims" to "refudiate" a planned mosque near the
> site of the 9/11 attacks in New York. When critics pounced on the
> made-up verb, Palin deleted the Tweet and replaced it with one that
> called on Muslims to "refute" the site — even though that usage made
> no sense, either, since to refute is to prove something to be untrue.

Please--it's "former half-term failed governor". If pressed, one can
omit the "failed" part.

VS-)