"canvas" = ? riot :-), 1768 -- not in OED

Joel S. Berson Berson at ATT.NET
Tue Nov 16 17:06:57 UTC 2010

No I don't seriously mean "riot", but I'm at a loss to give a good
definition.  Akin to "canvassing"?  But the OED does not have this as
a sense for "canvas, canvass", noun, as far as I can see.

Oct. 27.  From Northampton [England] we hear, that the present
electioneering canvas there has been attended with great riot and
tumult, particularly on Wednesday last, when the mob broke all the
window of a certain inn there ...

Pennsylvania Chronicle [Philadelphia], 1768 Jan. 25, 2/2.  Headline:
Extract of a Letter from Lisbon, Sept. 15.  EAN.

Joel