Mad magazine collection searchability (UNCLASSIFIED)

Thu Nov 18 15:29:42 UTC 2010

Classification: UNCLASSIFIED
Caveats: NONE

If the Mad archive is useful, maybe these are as well:

National Lampoon (1970 - 1988, 246 issues for $16):

http://www.amazon.com/GIT-Corp-90012-National-Lampoon/dp/B000VPNSJY/

Rolling Stone (1967 - 2007, $35.  I may have seen it for even less on
the remaindered shelves at the local Barnes & Noble).

http://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Stone-40-Years-Cover/dp/0981766005/

National Geographic (1888 - 2009; $47)

http://www.amazon.com/Complete-National-Geographic-Every-Issue/dp/B003XI
KA4W/
or
http://www.amazon.com/Complete-National-Geographic--Every-VERSION/dp/142
6296355/ ($59.50; less from other merchants)

Behalf Of

----------------------

------
> -
>
> I've got it. It's essentially a collection of PDF files, one per
issue.
> There is no global search function, although you can use the PDF
search
> capability to search within individual issues. The PDF search does not
> support wildcards, but isn't case sensitive. The OCR underlying the
search
> capability appears to be pretty good, but I haven't tested it
extensively.
> The image quality isn't the greatest, but it is legible and reasonably
> clear, although some of the marginal illustrations are difficult to
make
> out.
>
> As a tool for lexical research it isn't the greatest (mainly because
of the
> limitations on search), but for entertainment or cultural value it is
pretty
> good. The chief advantage is that you get the entire magazine, cover
> cover, from Mr. Neumann on the front to the fold-in joke on the back,
with
> the mise-en-page preserved.
>
> There's no DRM, so you can download the disks to your hard drive.
Total size