"track record"

Laurence Horn laurence.horn at YALE.EDU
Thu Nov 18 15:50:12 UTC 2010

Then there's "get untracked", as when a baseball (basketball, etc.)
player or team in a slump "can't get untracked", which appears to
have derived from a eggcornish reanalysis of "can't get on track" (of
a train car).  Being "untracked" is thus a positive (cf. "finally got
untracked"), precisely the way being on track is for the train, one
that seems to allude to undoing a negative (as when a car or wagon in
stuck in a track/rut).
(Cf. http://itre.cis.upenn.edu/~myl/languagelog/archives/001390.html.)

LH